Friday lunch is sushi lunch. Well, Friday is paperwork day for me, so nothing is more comforting than a packet of 8 pieces of salmon and tuna sushi. Call me boring but when you are buried in a pile of paperwork, having something that you know it is healthy, and delicious just ease the pain of writing notes and reports.
While paying for my sushi one Friday, it hit me…. right that corner of that sushi shop is a heated little place when they put out bento boxes. Teriyaki chicken rice, teriyaki chicken with noodles..etc. That is when I realized that it can’t be that hard to replicate that at home right?
Armed with Teriyaki sauce (The good stuff from Oriental supermarkets from Japan, not the kind titled “Woolworths brand“. Anyhow, marinating the chicken with the sauce turned out to be a sticky delight. And the noodles? Generous serving of shredded cabbage and carrots stir fry with ramen is simple but delish.
We can’t forget a serving of a fried egg can we? Egg yolk oozing to our noodles-mixing it and then taking a bite means the simple pleasures in life are best enjoyed….at home.
oh oh and before I forget…
Petrina gave me this awesome Sugar Doll Award in Jan! And it’s already mid way through Feb! Thanks babe! Amazing friendship that was formed from the Malaysia Bridal Forum. Petrina has this amazing collection of shoes that I stood in awe looking at her cabinet when I visited her and her hubby!
10 things about myself:
1) We have shelves of motivational books and I read every single one of them. Self reflection and growth is vital to moving forward in life and relationships. There is no such thing as “the same” as not doing anything (as in personal development) to me means going backwards not forward in life.
2) I believe in being strength focused instead of focusing on the weaknesses.
3) But the irony thing is that I can be critical of myself and close ones (esp the hubby).
4) A weakness for french chocolates… (need I say more?)
5) I love home furnishing. I invest heavily on home and food magazines and like cutting them out to make a file of “my dream home”.
6) Did I mention I like good quality linen? I think I got this from my mum whom I used to consider “boring” as she was excited shopping about sheets! Too late, now I think it is fun!. (I can see mum going “I told u so”)
7) I am my grandmother’s girl. I adore her and would do anything for her.
8) Grapes and mangoes are my favorite summer fruits!
9) One of my dream is to be able to look after my family full time while experimenting in the home kitchen.
10) I like variety in food. I can have rice one day, cafe food the other and vegetarian next.
Japanese Teriyaki Chicken with Ramen (serves 4)
250 grams ramen noodles (cooked in boiling water)
half cabbage shredded
2 carrots peeled and shredded
1 red onion sliced
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
2-3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce
2-3 tablespoons of soya
2-3 tsp of white pepper.
2 chicken breasts sliced horizontally.
marinate in garlic and teriyaki sauce and mirin for around 20 mins.
Heat fry pan up. Saute garlic and onion till soft. Add in cabbage and carrots and fry till nearly cooked. Toss in noodles and all sauces. Cook till done. Taste test. Adjust accordingly.
Meanwhile, heat grill pan up to very hot. Grill chicken breast both side around 3 minutes till done. Set aside to cook slightly and sliced.
Fry egg on another pan. Serve warm.
Sharing this with friends at Presto Pasta founded by Ruth Daniels. This week, it is hosted by Italian Mama Chef! (What a cool name!)