I made a big batch of bolognese sauce the other day. I had some with a cauliflower mash but thought, hey I wonder if there are any other ways of using it. Flipping through an issue of Delicious magazine, I saw an South African idea that I adapted. It seems they used alot of spices in their mince and then bake it with a layer of egg on it. Now I’m sure I’m simplifying this heaps but I thought great idea!
So as I defrosted my batch of bolognese, I added in sweet paprika, a hint of mixed spice and more dried basil herbs. Into the oven it goes with a layer of whisked eggs. We had it with some zucchini noodles and it was just a simple beautiful meal. Asher of course ate with his fingers and made a beautiful mess.
Spiced Up Bolognese with Baked Eggs
1 batch of bolognese
2 tsp of sweet parika
1 tsp of mixed spice
1 tsp of dried basil herbs
splash of almond milk
1) If you have not cooked up a batch of bolognese, I did mine with chopped onion, garlic, 1 tin of chopped no salt added tomatoes, 1 tsp of tomato paste, 2 tsp of italian herbs and beef mince. Simmer it till it’s done.
2) If you have some extra bolognese, reheat it and add more paprika, mixed spice and dried basil herbs.
3) Meanwhile, pre heat oven at 180C.
4) Spoon into oven safe dish. Whisk eggs with almond milk. Pour on top of the mince. Bake it for 20 minutes or so.
5) Serve with veges or have it with zoonoodles!