During my uni years (7.5 years to be exact), an oven has rescued me from frustration and heart ache. Papers to do? I run to the kitchen for some baking therapy. Papers to mark? Baileys on the rocks please and ingredients for chocolate brownies.
darn. It’s a miracle how I got my work done.
Not forgetting my lazy days. A pipping hot casserole requires little effort but oh so tasty. Oh, and pasta and cheese in an oven dish just can’t go wrong.
This recipe was adapted from Woolworths Good Taste Magazine July 08. It takes some time to make but worth the extra bit of effort. Oh, it is also budget AND freezer friendly. One batch of this yield around 7-8 servings! I love meals like this. It means that I can have a night off the following week!
Pasta Lamb Bake
250 grams of pasta
1 chopped brown onion
2-3 tsp of fresh mint and pasley.
1/2 tsp of mixed spice
500 grams of lamb mince
3 to 4 chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/4 cup of stock
150 grams of spinach leaves
1 cup of chopped button mushrooms
1/3 cup of grated chedder
70grams of butter
2 tbs plain flour
2cups of skim milk
1/2 cup of grated chedder
1/4 cup of shreded parmesan
2 egg yolks lightly whisked
1) Boil salted water. Cook pasta. Cool and stir in egg. Set aside.
2) Heat oil in pan. Cook onion and garlic till soft. Increase heat to high and add herbs + mixed spice till it become aromatic. Add mince, break any lumps. Cook till it changes colour. Don’t forget your veges! Add tomatoes and paste. Add stock and simmer till sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
3) To make the cheese sauce- Melt butter. Stir in flour and cook till mixture bubbles. Remoe from heat. Gradually add milk and whisk it till smooth and combined. Bring it back to boil till sauce thickens and coat the back of a spoon. Remove and add both cheeses. Season. Set aside to cool. Whisk in 2 egg yolks.
4) Pre heat oven to 200C. You can choose to mix the mince and pasta mixture togeter but I layered mine. (My version-I placed mince mixture at the bottom of a baking dish and then top it with pasta. Pour the cheese sauce over it and top it with chedder). Bake for 30 minutes till golden.
5) There u go! A budget and freezer friendly meal. Dig in!